Book! Thread!

Discussion in 'Movies, Dramas & TV Shows' started by Yixingish, Feb 22, 2017.

?

What are your favourite book genre ?

1. Science fiction

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Action and Adventure

12 vote(s)
    46.2%
  3. Romance

13 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Mystery

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  5. Horror

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Thriller

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  7. Satire

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Comedy

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  9. Biography/Autobiography

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  10. Historical Fiction

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  11. Poetry

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Young Adult

16 vote(s)
    61.5%
  13. History

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Crime Fiction

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. LGBT Fiction

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  16. Other Not Mentioned Above

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Yixingish

Yixingish Queen Xingmi™
    Donor

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    EX'ACTLose Control (Lay)MAMA (EXO-M)EXODUS (Chinese Ver.)
    #1 Yixingish, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Hey guys!
    I am an avid reader, I have been from a young age however I have slowed down now due to school (I want to study medicine and I also am doing 4 languages that are not my native language for my LC so as you can imagine reading novels is out of the question)
    Anyways I wanted to start a thread where you can talk about or recommend a book you've enjoyed reading.

Some books I have enjoyed reading since September 2016 are

1. In Order to Live - Yeonmi Park (I love, love love this book)
    2. Only Ever Yours - Louise O Neil
    3. The Help - Kathryn Stockett
    4. The Perks of being a Wallflower - Stephan Chbosky

~ Form for recommending ~
    Book Title:
    Author:

Genre: (it's ok if you can't categorize it describe it in your own words)
    Why you enjoyed it:
    A rating out of 5:

Feel free to talk about any book positively or negatively as you like ❤

A good site to use for tracking what books you read/have read and for recomendations is www.goodreads.com. They also have an app on both android/apple too if you are more of a mobile user. You can follow me there if you like here

2. username

username EXO-L

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    #2 username, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    the fault in our stars really wasn't as good as the online reading comunity made it out to be.
    i didn't expect much reading it but still ended up being disappointed and slightly angry.

edits because i have changed in some ways and i feel like i was too harsh.

1. it wasn't that sad tbh. edit: i didn't find it as sad as others made it out to be.
    2. the dialogue between the 2 teenagers was too unrealistic. i felt like john green spent extra time while writing on how to formulate the sentences in way that sounds "smart". but the kids just ended up sounding pretentious and fake. edit: the dialogue in some parts felt unrealistic TO ME. i just feel like the kids kinda came off as a bit pretentious. and i guess that's normal during teenage years but i didn't really enjoy these parts.
    3. that cigarette line was stupid when i read and i was happy that every one who saw the teasers online agreed with me. edit: i still don't understand the scene. what was the point...
    4. john green probably will never give his readers something better than looking for alaska. (which isn't a perfect book but it was better than tfios.) edit: i read looking for alaska a few years before tfios and i thought it was decent. i haven't reread it recently so maybe my feelings have changed about that book and maybe today i wouldn't like anymore either.

edit:
    these are just some things i felt.
    you can still like the book.

squishysoo~, kinghun, lucifer and 3 others like this.
  3. SEINHI

SEINHI Diehard Fan

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Oh thanks for make this thread, i like reading but do not have change to read many books. please keep recommend

Negar and Yixingish like this.
  4. Yixingish

Yixingish Queen Xingmi™
    Donor

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Honestly I Agree TFIOS was overrated and the characters sounded so pretentious, another bland romance book built to play off the hormonal outbreaks of teen girls

Negar likes this.
  5. Starry Sky

Starry Sky Aeri

Lotto Coins:
    Wuhu, a book thread! I'm reading Red Rising by Pierce Brown and A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab currently and enjoy both so far.

Negar and Yixingish like this.
  6. candy

candy Aeri

Ghost
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    EXODUSLottoLose Control (Lay)Hey Mama! (EXO-CBX)
    I loooove reading, but sadly I'm in phase where I currently don't have will for it. I hate it! Hopefully after I do this exam next month, I will get back into reading.
    Do any of you have goodreads?

our hyuneemoon, Negar and Yixingish like this.
  7. Super

Super Donut Life

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    LottoEX'ACTLove Me RightOverdose (EXO-K)GrowlXOXOMAMA (EXO-K)Hey Mama! (EXO-CBX)
    I Only read YA books Like harry potter Percy jackson I would Love some Recommendations!

our hyuneemoon and Negar like this.
  8. Negar

Negar Dedicated Fan

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Book Title: A Song of Ice and Fire
    Author:George R.R Martin
    Genre: Epic Fantasy
    Why you enjoyed it: because despite the genre it was much more real that i thought. the story itself is so complicated that it will engage your mind until the end! unlike other fantasies that you can categorize characters as bad,good,evil and etc you can't do it with this novel! they are so real so convoluted like us that you can't judge them and brand them easily!you experience events from various point of views! but the real magic of the writer is that he can turn the most despised characters to one of your favourites just by showing you his/her views of events! it's not an epic fantasy, it has magic it has dragons, warlocks,mages,werewolves,giants,others and so on but... it's more like a historical fiction.
    A rating out of 5: 4.5 (because there is only one series that can surpass it that i know of and i give five to that series.)

_AWINGX, Kaai and Yixingish like this.
  9. captainamerikai

captainamerikai catfish sugar daddy

jongin's momager
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    nnnn i love the perks of being a wallflower. the book that describes the "slice of life" tags often on fanfics.

book title: the kite runner
    author: khaled hosseini
    genre: historical drama, redemption, coming of age fiction
    why you enjoyed it: it's a story of friendship and betrayal between a rich boy and a slave's son. i love fiction testing friendship and love and this is the best example for it. have never cried this much for another fiction (except for the other stories by the same author: a thousand splendid suns, worth a read as well)
    a rating out of 5: 5/5

im an avid reader as well so i love this thread. have so many books to rec but lately all i read are fanfiction. that being said, this book is my all time favorite, never gets all, always precious book thats close to my heart and worth every read and rec

10. Yixingish

Yixingish Queen Xingmi™
    Donor

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Would it have to be fantasy based like hp and pj?
    --- Posts merged ---
    Ah I bought this book recently I am going to start reading it !

Negar likes this.
  11. byun

byun Dedicated Fan

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Book Title: big little lies
    Author: liane moriarty
    Genre: mystery (kind of)
    Why you enjoyed it: it's very suspenseful and exciting but also feels very real, it's super easy and quick to read even though it's long and it's amazing so read it
    A rating out of 5: 6

Rillune, Negar and Yixingish like this.
  12. Yixingish

Yixingish Queen Xingmi™
    Donor

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Oh currently I'm reading memoirs of a geisha by Arthur golden I'm enjoying it so far !

13. Oddlee

Oddlee Dedicated Fan

Student
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Reloaded I (Luhan)Lil' Something (Chen x Heize)July (Kris Wu)Years (Chen x Alesso)
    Book Title: The Handmaid's Tale
    Author: Margaret Atwood
    Genre: Dystopian, Feminism (kinda), it's honestly a book you'd read in school if it wasn't criticizing traditional women's roles in society and strict Puritan culture
    Why you enjoyed it: It's kind of a thriller and the whole book the main character is surrounded in mystery because her identity has basically been erased in a society that only uses women as tools for reproduction.
    A rating out of 5: 5 of 5 it's a classic
    Book Title: Tournament of Losers
    Author: Megan Derr
    Genre: Romance, Adventure?, LGBTQ relationship
    Why you enjoyed it: It was kind of cheesy but the relationship and story was cute.
    A rating out of 5: 4.5 of 5
    Book Title: Inhuman
    Author: Kat Falls
    Genre: YA, Dystopian
    Why you enjoyed it: I've read other stuff by her and the plots and settings of her books are always interesting. This one is about a girl who finds out that her father has been traveling to a licked of portion of the country that was ravage and "destroyed" by a disease. If I told you anymore it would be spoilers lol.
    A rating out of 5: 5 of 5
    Series that are young adult and cute so they're fluffy reads if you ever wanted to check them out:
    Book Title: Kiki Strike
    Author: Kristen Miller
    Genre: YA
    Why you enjoyed it: The books are a little out there but that's why I like them. The writing style and plot isn't something I've seen a lot at least not in book form.

Book Title: The Frog Princess
    Author: E.d Baker
    Genre: YA, fairy tale
    Why you enjoyed it: It's a different take on the fairy tale and the progress through the series of the main characters development along with her relationship's development has always stuck with me, I just thought it was always well done.

_AWINGX, Rillune, Negar and 1 other person like this.
  14. Yixingish

Yixingish Queen Xingmi™
    Donor

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Ah interesting ,I'll add them to my to read list ^^. Only Ever Yours by Louise O neil is very similar to A handmaidens Tale. Ideawise anyways I'd recommend it since you enjoyed A handmaidens Tale, Its a very easy read too ^^

Negar and Oddlee like this.
  15. ℓo n e w oℓf

ℓo n e w oℓf Dedicated Fan

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    #15 ℓo n e w oℓf, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    I used to read A LOT in elementary school. There are so many books that I enjoyed and would love to recommend, but that was such a long time ago, so I dont remember the names lol.(90% of them were horror/ghost/etc stories tho)

I completely stopped reading books when I started middle school (im blaming fanfics). I starting reading books again recently.

I only finished 1 so far and I'd like to recommend it to yall cuz I loved it.

Title: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
    Author: Benjamin Alire Saénz
    Why you enjoyed it: It's realistic, and I fell completely in love with the 2 main characters!(especially Dante). Thats all I can say cuz i seriously suck at explaining why I like something.
    Genre: YA | Coming-of-age | Friendship | LGBT-themes
    Rating: 10/5

I'm currently also reading:

- Leverage
    by Joshua C. Cohen.
    Genre:
    YA | Realistic fiction | Sports | Friendship | School
    Warnings(!!):
    "Bullying, Rape, Suicide, Violence"

I can't stand one of the main character(Danny), that little shit only seem to care about himself. I DO like it so far tho(i'm 3,5/5 thru),
    "but im still fckng angry that they killed off my child Ronnie, the sweetest angel >/singletear "

- One Boy's Shadow by Ross A. McCoubrey
    Genre
    : YA | LGBT-themes | Paranormal | Mystery

Only read 70 pages(of 420) so far and REALLY love it.
    (So pls give this one a shot its really good /chenparty)

edit: why are my spoilers not showing up /suhojudge nvm i got it

16. wangmins

wangmins Dedicated Fan

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    The War
    percy jackson and hp books are my faves so i'm gonna rec my other faves lol
    -lunar chronicles series by marissa meyer
    -throne of glass series by sarah j maas (this series is not yet finished)
    -hunger games by suzanne collins (so popular so idk if you've already read it)
    -six of crows by leigh bardugo (it has a book 2 called crooked kingdom but i have yet to read it)
    -the infernal devices series by cassandra clare

hope you can find something you like /taopeace

17. softbaek04

softbaek04 Dedicated Fan

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    EXODUS (Chinese Ver.)Take You Home (Baekhyun)Baekhyun's SignatureReloaded (Luhan)GrowlBeautiful (Baekhyun)Hey Mama! (EXO-CBX)EX'ACT
    Book Title: I'll give you the sun.
    Author: Jandy Nelson
    Genre: YA, romance(?)
    Why you enjoyed it: It's so beautifully written. One of my all time fave books. It made me feel a lot of things.
    I suck at writing reviews in english so...
    Jude and her twin brother, Noah, are incredibly close. At thirteen, isolated Noah draws constantly and is falling in love with the charismatic boy next door, while daredevil Jude cliff-dives and wears red-red lipstick and does the talking for both of them. But three years later, Jude and Noah are barely speaking. Something has happened to wreck the twins in different and dramatic ways . . until Jude meets a cocky, broken, beautiful boy, as well as someone else—an even more unpredictable new force in her life. The early years are Noah's story to tell. The later years are Jude's. What the twins don't realize is that they each have only half the story, and if they could just find their way back to one another, they’d have a chance to remake their world.

A rating out of 5: 4.5

18. Yixingish

Yixingish Queen Xingmi™
    Donor

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Another book I recently bought but haven't read yet , I read the author's other book called Everything is the Sky (i bought both together in a pretty boxset) and I didn't like it too much but I'll give you the Sun sounds more interesting anyways

softbaek04 and Negar like this.
  19. softbaek04

softbaek04 Dedicated Fan

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    EXODUS (Chinese Ver.)Take You Home (Baekhyun)Baekhyun's SignatureReloaded (Luhan)GrowlBeautiful (Baekhyun)Hey Mama! (EXO-CBX)EX'ACT
    I love Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe /wtfsehun It's one of my fave books, a few days ago I find out that the author is currently writting part 2 and /laycri I still can't believe it.

Negar, Yixingish and ℓo n e w oℓf like this.
  20. Super

Super Donut Life

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    LottoEX'ACTLove Me RightOverdose (EXO-K)GrowlXOXOMAMA (EXO-K)Hey Mama! (EXO-CBX)
    No anything is fine as long as it's YA/baeknod
    Woah ! Thanks I'll check them out/chenheart