Naver [New Year Interview] EXO Kai Year of the Rooster

Discussion in 'Aeriverse Translations' started by 38Sr, Jan 2, 2017.

1. 38Sr

38Sr Official SM Certified EXO Fanartist
    Translator

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    #1 38Sr, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2017
    [​IMG]
    Aeriverse Translation Team
    38Sr, YeyeWalkways

[New Year Interview] EXO Kai Year of the Rooster
    Part 1 & 2

[​IMG]
    “These days, my passion is burning little a fighting chicken. Because it’s year of rooster, it’s my own.”

Kai, the main dancer of the country’s top idol group EXO, was in disappointment in the year of 2016. The group still won many awards, but he was not able to devote himself to group activities because of being in rehabilitation for four months due to having two injuries. So, in 2017 “Rooster” Kai is ready for the start. Recently, he’s become a fighting chicken with a fighting spirit.

-In 2016 EXO’s work was great.

“EXO’s work in 2016 was certainly great but personally it was a year of sorrow. It was nice to have opportunities for individual members in order to show their personal charm and talent, but in that time group activities decreased a little. I didn’t have a chance to meet with the fans directly. The amount of fan signs were a lot less than usual. Apart from whether or not our songs are a huge success, this year my personal hope is to do a lot of activities, have time to communicate with fans, and have all of our members perform together on stage often.

Each member's feelings about 2016 will probably be different. There were members who did acting or performed in unit activities and there were who practiced to improve their skills during that time. I was able to look at my own position, and I think it was a year I was able to think about what I was good at and what I need to strive in more.”

Kai and EXO, based on their powerful fan base, made a remarkable performance in 2016 unlike any other group. Their third regular album released in June 2016 brought a new era of triple million sellers (three consecutive million and more copies sold) followed by the first and second regular album. Also, the collaboration song with Yoo Jae-Seok “Dancing King” swept the music charts. In addition to group activities, there were solo and unit activities such as Chinese member Lay releasing his solo album Lose Control, Chen Baekhyun and Xiumin forming the first sub-unit and D.O. starring in the movie Brother. Last December, EXO released their special winter album For Life and gained immense popularity in ten days. However, Kai personally felt sorry this year. He injured his ankle twice and had to rehabilitate for four months. He also to appear in front of fans in a wheel chair.

-What kind of year was 2016 for Kai?

“Personally, it was a year of disappointment. I showed my fans my injured state while in a wheelchair. Like that, I couldn’t dance and had to rest. I’m too stressed about hurting myself again. So from the end of 2016, my body was restored and I felt myself getting fired up again. I’m practicing for more than 8 hours and burning like a fighting chicken. I look forward to this year. Since it’s year of rooster, it’s my own.”

[​IMG]

- If you had to choose the moment you were happiest since debut?

"I don't think I could choose just one. First I think of the day of our debut showcase, March 31, 2012. Before then I didn't have many chances to show my performance to other people; actually, that was my first stage experience. The cheers of the audience, the shivers I got, I will never be able to forget it. Before going on stage I was very nervous, but the moment when I got on stage and was waiting for the music to start, I wanted to laugh. I was too excited, so I wasn't able to show a dance that I was satisfied with.

May 2012, the Dream Concert shortly after debuting also comes to mind. It was held at the Seoul World Cup Stadium, at the time our seniors Super Junior were singing "Sorry Sorry". It was such a huge stage so all of our members were nervous. Before we went on stage, we gathered together and encouraged each other loudly. I don't think we'd ever had a moment where everyone was happy and overflowing with encouragements like that before going on stage. When we talk amongst ourselves, that moment often comes up. Receiving the Daesang at the Gayo Award Ceremony is also a moment that is always touching."

[​IMG]
    [To. Sports Seoul readers,
    Hello, I am EXO's KAI. The Year of the Rooster has arrived.
    I would happy if you were happy and healthy for the whole year.
    As "Rooster" KAI, I will work hard this year.
    I hope you are always happy ~ <3]​

- The time with the most regrets or the hardest time until now is?

"Last year when I injured my ankle for the second time was very hard for me. I rested from April until May. I found it wasn't easy to escape from depression or sadness. I haven't had to overcome those things very often. I'm a person who practices harder than anyone else, becomes happy by dancing, and enjoys going on stage, but since I hurt my leg I couldn't dance and I couldn't do the things I wanted to do. I felt myself falling into a slump.

My body has recovered but it's not at 100% yet. Until just recently I was carrying this worry that my leg might get injured again, and also the burden of "will I be able to do well?". Since I was hurt for a long time, at some point I must've had a lot of stress piled up. When I practiced, I should've been happily dancing but even after recovering I realized that there were many times when I didn't practice and rested instead. At some point I wondered "what am I doing?". Because of that, when I monitored my own performances I couldn't be satisfied with myself. If I had to say, it felt like the spark inside of me got smaller?

Around last September or October I felt like I shouldn't be like this anymore, so I strengthened my resolve. Now if there's a day when I don't have anything scheduled, my daily routine is only filled with practice. Dance practice for 5 hours, acting classes take about 2~3 hours, singing classes 3 hours; it's 2AM by the time I finish everything. I'm looking forward to this year so much. Even though I still have a slightly rusty feeling when I go on stage, I'm looking forward to seeing a sharpened, more improved side of myself."

Chio94, xiuhan, Nathrana and 6 others like this.
  2. bkhyuniverse

bkhyuniverse Dedicated Fan

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    [​IMG]
    [New Year Interview] EXO Kai “12 Years Ago, He chose SM instead of ballet. He wants to be called “The Best” 12 Years later”

cr: EXOGlobal
    [Sports Seoul Lee Jiseok] EXO has a connection with Sports Seoul who sponsors Seoul Music Awards. They had an award show for the rookies in the 22nd Awards in 2013. EXO’s first Seoul Music Awards after their debut in 2012 and received a disk bon sang digital album award and daesang at the the 23rd Seoul Music Awards in 2014. They also received a bbonsang, iQiyi popularity award and daesang for 2 years last 2015. It happened again in 2016 and received Haley Award and EXO became known as the “Triple Crown” for daesangs in their 3rd consecutive year of winning. EXO made history that achieved 3 consecutive daesang wins for the first time in history at the 25th Seoul Music Awards

Kai became a topic when he cried while giving a speech which was held on his birthday.

- At last year's Seoul Music Award ceremony, you expressed that you were 'happy to receive such a good award on my birthday' and cried.

"The award that we won in Seoul Music Awards was really the best birthday gift I ever recieved in my life. I know its not easy to win an award for 3 conesuctive years but it was the fans who support us so much and it felt like it was my birthday present. i remember working harder when we performing on that stage. To be honest, last years actives in 2015 were not easy at all for me. i struggled with filming for music videos since january and i also experienced some personal issues for a while but i tried to calm my heart down. while looking at the audience i thought of people who have dreams to become a singer and i thought to myself “lets work harder and always be happy” i was always self concisous. it was a hectic year so receiving that award meant a lot. awards always mean a lot to me but at that time, it was precious to me.

This is the 2nd year of the Rooster since Kai was born. 12 years ago, Kai remembers how he was removed from his company, SM and shattered his heart in the Year of the Rooster. But within those years he is now standing tall at the top of the world as a member of an idol group with more desires for new challenges. Kai is considered to be one of the highest level in dancing among idols and he wishes that one day, he’d see the words “the best” in front of his name in the Year of the Rooster."

- Is there any other celebritiy you think has the characteristics/personalty of year of the rooster?

"I’m closest to SHINEE’s Taemin who’s also Year of the Rooster. There are not that many celebrities I know that are Year of the Rooster so I’m not sure. But Taemin & I share a lot of common things. We tend to misplace our stuff all the time and we're both silly. (laughs) And we also always have our focus only in one thing so that's another thing that we have in common."

- What are your plans for 2017, Year of the Rooster?

"I want to do a lot of crazy things. I want to be crazy I want to do a lot of things. Dancing and singing is my focus of course but if there are new challenges, I want to do my best and work hard. Personally I want to film dancing videos of me for our fans and show them on various channels. I also would want to have a lot of activities with exo."

- What is something you want to hear at the end of the year 2017?

"There is something I would want to say in the end of the year, not something I want to hear. I always said before, I would always say 'I’m sorry' when someone asked me what kind of year 2016 was for me. When I get interviewed and ask how was 2017 for me, I want to say 'It was a great year. I was really happy'."

- Recently you filmed the webdrama 'Seven First Kisses'. Do you have any more plans for acting?

"I've only filmed a few web dramas, so I can't really say much about acting. I think I'm slowly learning the art of acting. I’ve lived my life for so long only knowing dancing and singing, so acting was a new challenge for me that was not easy. But slowly I'm falling in love with acting. I’m still lacking and still learning for now. But in the future, there are many things for me to learn but it’ll be a lot of fun and I’m starting to understand now why actors love what they do. I don’t have much experience but I’ve created a lot of great memories as we shoot/film. Its the best feeling if you can be happy doing anything but for me, acting makes me happy just as when I dance and sing."

- What did you do in the Year of the Rooster in 2005, 12 years ago?

"2005- I was in 6th grade of elementary school. I have been doing ballet since I was 8. Unlike me, my dad told me that I should audition for SM. There was a middle school ballet audition at the same time for SM audition. I had a hard time deciding but eventually said to myself, 'I should do ballet' but my dad told me 'If you pass the SM audition, I’ll buy you a nintendo' So I gave up my dream of doing ballet and auditioned for SM. I didn’t make it at that time. (laughs)"

- It's amazing that it was your dad who pushed you to audition for SM and gave you so much support.

"My father originally wanted to do art, but he was not able to do it because everyone his whole family was against it. So he always let me do everything I wanted to do. Since I was a child, I attended music and art academies. The field that was really most interesting for me was dancing. So that's when I started to do ballet at the age of 8, I won a national tournament and I did a lot of things as well. Auditioning for SM, it wasn’t because I wanted to but because my father prepared me for it. Ever since I was 8, he would film me dancing with a camcorder and sent them to SM. There was a crisis as to why I failed the SM audition but my father always believed in me. Now, whenever I see him, he’d always tell me 'I always knew you’d be successful. From somebody’s point of view, you were always great even when you were young.'"

- Imagine yourself in 12 years.

"To be honest, I can't imagine it yet. I don’t really think of that much. But I’ll just keep on dancing until I’m not having fun anymore (because of it). It's funny but I can't imagine myself that I’d ever stop dancing. Even when I’m 36 years old, I’d still be dancing. If not, maybe a job that has something relating to dancing. But, a personal wish? When I’m 36, I just want to hear that I’m the “best” in whatever I’m working on. Of course, it's not an easy wish to fulfill but I don’t want to let it go. At least, maybe 12 years later, I want to be known as 'Kai, the best dancer in our country'."

Chancellor, Chio94, xiuhan and 7 others like this.
  3. YeyeWalkways

YeyeWalkways Translator
    Translator

mathematician in training
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    LottoDancing King (EXO x Yoo Jae Suk)Nosedive (Dynamic Duo x Chen)Baekhyun's SignatureGrowlHey Mama! (EXO-CBX)Beautiful (Baekhyun)Dream (Baekhyun x Suzy)
    #3 YeyeWalkways, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Top Comments:

"Kim Jongin is the best... I'll always support you KAI-ting❤" [+649][-26]
    (t/n: KAI-ting is a pun on Hwaiting / Fighting, which is used to express encouragement)

"He practices for more than 10 hours on rest days ㅜㅜ I want to have a strong will like his, he's cool" [+617][-22]

"He's cool ♥♥♥" [+506][-11]

"So cool ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ I'll always cheer you on" [+495][-17]

"Whatever Jongin-ie does I'll always support you, I love you❤" [+492][-20]

"It must be nice, to be this handsome and have clear goals and putting in so much effort, it'll work out well for him" [+149][-3]

"All of the things you regretted in 2016, I hope you get to fulfill every single one of them in 2017! Hwaiting!!!!" [+130][-0]

"Our Jonnie even 12 years from now you'll be the best, I'll always support you!! ❤❤️" [+129][-1]

"Kai is unbelievingly good at dancing, now that he's good at singing and acting and trying hard at everything he can only get better" [+117][-8]

"Whoa I can't believe that someone who's been debuted for 6 years now practices for more than 10 hours..... That hard-working side is so cool" [+108][-6]

"Becoming the best through effort, so cool.. I want to have a will like his too" [+106][-4]

____________________________________________________________________________

Looking forward to seeing your responses in the comments below!

Chio94, xiuhan, Mochi Baek and 5 others like this.
  4. kyungie

kyungie Aeri
    Donor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Love Me RightOverdose (EXO-M)Crying Out (D.O.)Tell Me (What Is Love) (D.O. x Yoo Young Jin)
    "I’m practicing for more than 8 hours and burning like a fighting chicken."

[​IMG]
    when will your faves ever burn like a fighting chicken...

thank you for translating :)

5. rheanna

rheanna Minseok's Jade

Student
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Thank you for this trans, it's so admirable of Kai to have such strong will. I hope he'll be in a 100% condition and improve his vocals and drop his solo album and shock me to death.
    Also, kai's dad... thanks for making this 'fighting chicken with a fighting spirit' audition for SM /laycri

Azlesha and YeyeWalkways like this.
  6. YeyeWalkways

YeyeWalkways Translator
    Translator

mathematician in training
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    LottoDancing King (EXO x Yoo Jae Suk)Nosedive (Dynamic Duo x Chen)Baekhyun's SignatureGrowlHey Mama! (EXO-CBX)Beautiful (Baekhyun)Dream (Baekhyun x Suzy)
    Not gonna lie, the translating team had a field day with the amount of chicken references in this article /kailol/kailol

Azlesha, 38Sr and rheanna like this.
  7. lovelyjoonmyeon

lovelyjoonmyeon #1 Bunny Citizen ❤

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    kai always works hard but it was too bad that he got injured I hope 2017 will be a better year for him /kaikiss

Azlesha and rheanna like this.
  8. J a y

J a y Dedicated Fan

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    +600 upvotes bless! this interview made laugh and emo all the same time /baekcriChen Jam
    thanks trans team y'll are amazing /chenheart

munaka, Azlesha and YeyeWalkways like this.
  9. Aeri456

Aeri456 EXO-L

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Thank you so much for the translations!

Jongin is so hardworking... knowing that he had a slump during his 2nd injury is heartbreaking...

I'm really glad he pulled through!

I hope he will achieve all that he wants to do in 2017! This is his year.. because it's the year of the chicken! Hahaha

YeyeWalkways likes this.
  10. Aliny

Aliny Dedicated Fan

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    This was such a great interview with him. All I want for him is to be happy. I'm so glad that he's healed and back on stage dancing. His father sounds like a great dad, letting his son live out his dreams.
    I hope he'll receive another award on his birthday this year!
    Thanks for translating!

Azlesha and YeyeWalkways like this.
  11. Kainat

Kainat Casual Fan

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Thanks a lot for translating. Really appreciate your hard work.
    10 hrs on a rest day.. Wow that is really inspiring. Hope he will have a good year ahead.

YeyeWalkways likes this.
  12. chloesapphire

chloesapphire ❤️ 기억을 걷는 밤 ❤️
    Translator

Transleitor
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Stay With Me (Chanyeol x Punch)Let Me Love You (Junggigo x Chanyeol)Rain (Baekhyun x Soyou)The Day (Baekhyun x K.Will)Dream (Baekhyun x Suzy)Beautiful (Baekhyun)
    nini works so hard /legendarybaek/wtfsehun/taocri i dont even do revision this much during my exam period /shookyeol
    you will get to shine, kim kai~ eventually your efforts will bear fruit /happyxiu

YeyeWalkways likes this.
  13. junmyeon

junmyeon Diehard Fan

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    EX'ACTLottoFor LifeEXODUSGrowlMAMA (EXO-K)Overdose (EXO-K)Sing For You
    i always love to read his interviews. i hope only good things happen to kai and the rest of exo this year <3

YeyeWalkways likes this.
  14. Labellee

Labellee Casual Fan

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    I will be the happiest omg Kai pls make this happen

YeyeWalkways likes this.
  15. Cat

Cat Casual Fan

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    omg same! I live for dance practice vids. Remember when Kai had Instagram for like 5 seconds and he posted this?

/taocri

YeyeWalkways and Labellee like this.
  16. Mochi Baek

Mochi Baek Dedicated Fan

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Kai is so hard working
    I remember that quote from him about when you think of giving up you should remember why you started so you won't give up and I keep on remembering that and I feel like working harder

His vocals aren't that good BUT I admire him so much for improving. He's worked hard and that's what matters

Chancellor and YeyeWalkways like this.
  17. Aelgi Kim

Aelgi Kim Casual Fan

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    His passion to hone his craft is admirable and his good relationship with his father is commendable. I legit cried while reading this article tbh, I can relate to him.
    Kudos to his father for believing in Jongin's talent indeed parents know what is best for their children.

Chancellor and YeyeWalkways like this.
  18. Dinovaur

Dinovaur Casual Fan

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    I actually thought this was an old interview at first because of how incredibly hardworking and humble he is in it. It's really the original Kai.. so passionate even now :;))

YeyeWalkways likes this.
  19. Chancellor

Chancellor Aeri

Exams
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Crying Out (D.O.)Nosedive (Dynamic Duo x Chen)Curtain (Suho x Song Young Joo)
    Jongin is so hardworking, 8+ hours a day even this far into a very successful career? I'll never understand when people say they've had it easy, they give everything their all.

YeyeWalkways likes this.
  20. SummeryJ

SummeryJ Casual Fan

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Thats right my Jongin