Comeback Official ⚔ The War ⚔ Comeback Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music' started by tan, Jul 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nugu Vivi

Nugu Vivi Thє ℓʋηα Divineɾ
    Republic of Hun

Mother of 24 kids™
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Freal Luv (FEM x Marshmello ft Chanyeol & Tinashe)EX'ACTEXODUSXOXO
    You have taste /sehuntea

2. Siros

Siros Nugu Oppa
    United Kaidom

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Tell me something I don't know
    [​IMG]

3. minze

minze The Don Corleone of the cat gif world

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Dancing King (EXO x Yoo Jae Suk)Girls (EXO-CBX)Stay With Me (Chanyeol x Punch)Xiumin (Monster)
  4. Xiuxiuminnie

Bunny Kingdom

EXO-L
    Putting songs to EXO performances via Tubedubber
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Stay With Me (Chanyeol x Punch)The War: Power of MusicRain (Baekhyun x Soyou)Monodrama (Lay)Crush U (EXO-CBX)Lotto (Chinese Ver.)Girls (EXO-CBX)Hey Mama! (EXO-CBX)
  5. minze

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Dancing King (EXO x Yoo Jae Suk)Girls (EXO-CBX)Stay With Me (Chanyeol x Punch)Xiumin (Monster)
  6. Xiuxiuminnie

Bunny Kingdom

EXO-L
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Stay With Me (Chanyeol x Punch)The War: Power of MusicRain (Baekhyun x Soyou)Monodrama (Lay)Crush U (EXO-CBX)Lotto (Chinese Ver.)Girls (EXO-CBX)Hey Mama! (EXO-CBX)
    #326 Xiuxiuminnie, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017

I'll edit this post with the official YouTube from Music Bank whenever they get their shit together and post them.
    /pissedkai
    Posted!

tan, exocℓipse, minze and 1 other person like this.
  7. Gliese

Gliese Aeri
    Dyonation

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    I figure this is probably the most appropriate thread for this post, so here goes
    I've been listening to the whole album non stop at work for the past 4 days, so I guess I'm capable of more objective judgement this time round compared to when FL was released. Trigger warning unpopular opinion and trashtalking ahead

1. The Eve - loved it since the teaser was out, dark and brooding bassline that's right my type. Wasn't really sold on the tropical house synth at first because I was afraid it'd get borderline chainsmokers-ish afterwards but thank goodness it didn't. It's worth noting that The Eve is the first b-side to ever snag the honour of being an exo album opener and it doesn't disappoint. The song is atmospheric and intriguing, with an air of mystery and sensuality - I blame ksoo's 'what's the situation', it now ties with 'she's my baby' as his sexiest line ever. All that praising aside, I still feel the song lacks a proper climax, a high point because the bridge is so so lackluster unlike AL, a track sharing the same vibe but with a much more prominent middle 8 that adds so much dimension and energy to the song. The choreography *might* top AL for some of y'all but the music really does not. Would've preferred it with a longer middle 8 with a brief instrumental interlude somewhere and more adlibs in the last chorus, because the song itself is quite short, if not the shortest track in their entire discography it doesn't hurt to add a bit more to it and meanwhile give us more kink fuel choreo while they're at it

2. KKB - a very adventurous choice for a title track, I was very surprised when the team mentioned they all collectively agreed on this being the song that shows their colour the best, because come on it's reggae and EDM in one song, in theory that's like a chimera that can rival IGAB in terms of monstrosity. That and the tacky nonsense title/obscure 60's reference sounds like the perfect recipe to another polarizing af release that would seriously threaten to replace chogiwa as the new fandom meme/bat signal. But surprise surprise, this weird concoction isn't actually so terrible because 1. lbr the reggaeton part is really well written shimmy shimmy ko ko fuck yeah 2. the rap part isn't the best rap part ever, but it is a very effective bridge to blur the drastic verse-chorus difference 3. that is one OTT beat drop, guaranteed to smack you in the face and forcefully worm its way into your brain, a strategy regularly tested and proven by Monsta X 4. only one gimmicky synthesized 'listen!' instead of naega oolf awoo x12 ah saranghaeyo x12 eat you in one bite like cheese and all that grossness. I applaud them for taking such a huge risk this time but still, we've seen better and I don't like how I was already subconsciously telling myself well be glad it doesn't out-cringe Wolf. Anw congrats to beagle line because that has to be the breeziest lyrics writing gig ever, some easy wons for y'all

3. what U do? - the summery sequel to boss Zhang's legendary R&B bible what U need? the poppiest track on the entire album, it's what Heaven is to Lotto, Tender Love to LMR and 365/Lucky/Peter Pan to XOXO. Bright melody, sparkly disco-esque instrumentals, unabashed love declarations as lyrics, it's the classic formula for yer ole teenybopper now available with a hint of tropical house a la Chainsmokers which is ever so popular nowaways with the young and hip yasss trendspotting mission accomplished. Thankfully the synth isn't too OTT to the point of generic, but it's so poppy my dark heart just can't bear to put it on heavy rotation. Kind of reminds me of JM lmaoooo such a cheesefest but at the same time uplifting and wholesome, stellar job SM for choosing it for his teaser that was spot on /princesssuho

4. Forever - that one song so obviously written to be a possible title track but ends up as a b-side. I can see the writers trying to recapture the same level of energy that was there in Monster and to a lesser extent Limitless, but production-wise this ends up being a confusing clusterfuck of way too many things going on, most prominent when the trumpet starts kicking in in the prechorus. Imo they could've toned it down a bit and develop that section in a more minimalist direction, following that really nice 3-note repeated pattern in the verse. It would give the song more dynamic too, with a better contrast between the chorus and the rest of the song.The bridge sounds epic so I give them the credit for that.

5. Diamond & 7. Chill are the weird ones of the lot. Both sound like composites i.e. melody fragments all frankensteined together into one song, an approach frequently used by Xenomania and I fucking love Xenomania. The abrupt key change doesn't bug me surprisingly so I have no problem grooving to it and I actually found that face-heel turn melody change in Chill pretty fucking sick. Too bad it's not really the type of music I'd listen to on repeat, I can foresee this being a huge grower for many esp after live performance tho

6. Touch It - another classic feel-good teenybopper written based on your standard funky disco guitar and bassline combo, but of course not all formulaic songs are born equal and this one happens to have a pretty decent stoichiometry. It's not Lucky One level of eternal funky goodness yet, but quite close: the back-and-forth sing-talk reminds me of the energy and dynamics in Sheeran's Sing only in less generous dosage, that nanana refrain has got to be the best nanana in the recent history of kpop sorry I don't recall any other, the entire song has that languid but playful vibe that's a first in their entire discography, even with CBX included. And I'm all up for a good feel-good song, so it's a firm favourite from first listen and still remains my mostest favouritest after about 20 times or so streaming the entire album. Thoughtful lyricist writing some appropriately flirty lyrics for the song too so that's a big bonus

8. Walk on Memories - not a fan of ballads unless it falls into the instrumental purist category together with SFY and My Answer, but have to agree this is one of the better offerings in their slow song catalog. I can definitely sleep to this and I don't mean it in a so-boring-it-rivals-university-lectures sleep. That being said I'd still like to trade this for 24 instead, there should be a law that restrict sappy ballads to winter releases lol

9. Going Crazy - another case of the El Dorado i.e. we wrote this hella sick beat, but can't come up with a decent melody to it, but throwing it away or leaving it as a bare piece of instrumental would be a huge crime so what to do?? Let's just write and rewrite the piece again and again and again until a song fashions itself somehow. End result is a track with some very epic parts but very meh for the rest and the entire thing just doesn't feel natural and cohesive as a song. The 'adrenaline rush' verse in particular is quite terrible tbvh, the first word that came to my mind in trying to describe how I feel listening to the melody in that part is 'constipated' /legendarybaek good thing that choppy synth line and the ominous piano outro manage to salvage it. Ngl those two parts sound like it could've been written by Muse for their electronic era in 2012 while the rest is just /lmaosuho the only way I'm tolerating that if it ever comes up on shuffle is because I'm way too deep into this exol lifestyle

Verdict Ex'act still sits safely on the throne for me lol

Never thought I'd write this much on an album review holy shit

8. Xiuxiuminnie

Bunny Kingdom

EXO-L
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    By Muse, do you mean like Time Is Running Out? Cause I love that song. /sehunjam Shit, now I want someone to mash-up Going Crazy with Time Is Running Out. /shookyeol

/legendarybaek The only song I really have some issues with in terms of re-listen value is WHAT U DO? The chorus is so weird if we wanna make comparisons to Wolf. It's like the SARANGHAEO but double.
    I've come to appreciate Chill and Diamond much more. /chanyeollip

Fun fact: the translations for Chill always translated to Creeps. I wasn't thinking about what chill means, but it makes sense, lol, chill as in feeling chilly/having goosebumps. I kept thinking of Chill as in lay back/smoke weed (Ko Ko Bop).
    Chill was more like Artificial Love to me.
    I loved Wolf, so...I'm gonna have varied opinions about what sounds good. /baeknose
    Walk On Memories was sexy. /trappedsoo/trappedsoo SUHO IS GONNA COVER YOU WITH HIS WHOLE BODY. /faintingsoo

tan, exocℓipse and minze like this.
  9. BaeXiu-L

BaeXiu-L The War = Xiumin Era.

SM Dungeon
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    EX'ACTEXODUSHey Mama! (EXO-CBX)Xiumin's SignatureGrowl

that's some highly detailed post.

good job

[​IMG]

tan, exocℓipse, minze and 1 other person like this.
  10. Gliese

Gliese Aeri
    Dyonation

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    I was thinking of their newer material, the synth line reminds me of Follow Me while the piano outro is straight up Isolated System. TiRO is a classic crossover song so you can't deny it goes well with anything and everything lololol

And I agree about repaly value for what u do, that's a little bit too much saranghae for a chorus lmao chill boys I can totally imagine koreans would cringe having to hear such a cheesefest on repeat during the chorus /laylaugh Also somehow the instrumental just feels very... loud at times? I get the same feeling listening to some Brave Bros tracks like Alone and AOA's Heart Attack and a redditor pointed out it's possibly because of a technique called brickwalling during mastering, essentially cranking up the volume of the recorded instruments way too much and making it lose subtle nuances in sound

ayyy kissy face minseok approves my post /chanyeolsmile

tan, exocℓipse, minze and 2 others like this.
  11. Xiuxiuminnie

Bunny Kingdom

EXO-L
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Speaking of audio feedback/problems/whatever, Run It/Run This (?) from their Japanese single for Coming Over had weird audio. I kept thinking it was a really bad bootleg being posted on YouTube to avoid copyright infringement. Tactix was better. I like both, but holy shit, the audio production ruined Run It/Run This. /faintingsoo

I don't follow Muse, but TiRO was a song that came out whenever I was in high school. Those vocals are sexy. I WANT CHEN TO COVER IT. /chanyeollip That instrumental is sexy, too. Probably why I mentioned it whenever you talked about Muse and Going Crazy.
    Another sexy vocal rock song is Sex Type Thing by STP. /wtfsehun/wtfsehun

I think AOA's Heart Attack was supposed to feel like a club single, hence the loudness. It had that slow build-up from sort of quiet to really loud during certain parts, but that was intentional. It's like a hype-type transition.
    A lot of early 90's and 00's songs did that for clubs/DJs, I think? /baeknose It is annoying sometimes, though, yeah. Sometimes Jimin can be extra extra loud, too. /suhochoke This wasn't one of those loud Jimin songs, though. Same for Excuse Me. /sehunlotto

BUT YES, I UNDERSTAND THE FEELINGS ABOUT GOING CRAZY. Chen's vocals and Suho's especially are sometimes too low. Suho's audio/vocals reminds me of that ocean effect (or the sewer one?) you can put to your audio via the settings on your on your computer (at least for Windows). /baekfab

Do you know who belts that high-ass note for GOING CRAZY (the translation of what is belted out, lol) near the end part? I am gonna guess it's Chen cause he can hit high notes like in Drop That. My initial feeling was Baekhyun, but...I just remembered Chen's high pitched long-ass note in Drop That and changed my mind. /runsuho

tan, exocℓipse and minze like this.
  12. minze

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:

lol i don't even know if anyone needs these but i'll keep spamming i guess even tho i missed last night's schedules.

tan, exocℓipse and Xiuxiuminnie like this.
  13. Xiuxiuminnie

Bunny Kingdom

EXO-L
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Thank you for the reminder~

exocℓipse and minze like this.
  14. exocℓipse

exocℓipse My universe revolves around you ☆彡
    Awards Team Dyonation

Tragic-Badge™ Fighter
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    D.O.'s SignatureLay (Monster)LottoLove Me Right ~Romantic Universe~Tao's SignatureMonodrama (Lay)For LifeThe Road (Z.Tao)
    Wow this is some really detailed review and it was really interesting to read. I think I should hear the album more closely with more breakdowns and stuff; for now the album stays as 'well-produced' overall to me, with its strong impact spread widely on all the tracks. Probably because I'm still waiting for the lyrics translation (nope not English I'm actually an English hater when it comes to literature) where I can actually slow down and interpreting each song with all of its aspects /chenjam

On a side note though it's interesting how you guys found What U Do? cringey /kailol I thought that was the track that I will never stop bobbing to because it really is an easy timeless listen for me. Also for the sentimental reason that the song definitely sounds like the sequel of What U Need? Oops.
    Wait Inkigayo is that early? Yayyy no more staying up /taocri

Gliese, Xiuxiuminnie and minze like this.
  15. minze

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    /happyxiu

/sekaihug until tomorrow when they're doing a festival and show music core /baeknod

Xiuxiuminnie and exocℓipse like this.
  16. exocℓipse

Awards Team Dyonation

Tragic-Badge™ Fighter
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    D.O.'s SignatureLay (Monster)LottoLove Me Right ~Romantic Universe~Tao's SignatureMonodrama (Lay)For LifeThe Road (Z.Tao)
    I have to sleep for the trip tho /taocri screw my fangirl life

minze likes this.
  17. minze

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    /sekaihug Hopefully ppl rise from the grave to spam updates while you're being dragged all over BC.

exocℓipse likes this.
  18. minze

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
  19. Xiuxiuminnie

Bunny Kingdom

EXO-L
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    What U Need? was pure sex. /sehunjam That butt-slap dance. /taocri

What U Do?
    is confusing. The chorus needs to go (if it was only one iroke or saranghe, I could deal with it). Even worse cause it's in my head without me realizing it. /walksoo

minze and exocℓipse like this.
  20. exocℓipse

Awards Team Dyonation

Tragic-Badge™ Fighter
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    U thirsty self needs to be hidden, why are you like this /pleasedsoo

That's interesting because I was cool with it /laylaugh I thought those simple words in the chorus was the reason why songs like that can be listened casually, anytime, anywhere /chenjam I guess I'm a sucker for easy lyrics, you know, life is fun when you live it in a simple way /baeknod

minze, Xiuxiuminnie and lueur like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.