Comeback #ThePowerOfMusic Discussion Thread ["Let's celebrate the end of our world together"]

Discussion in 'Music' started by permaban, Aug 28, 2017.

1. PrideInBaek

PrideInBaek Baekhyun's Princess
    Republic of Hun

Loving Baekhyun
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Sweet lies is still making me make the
    = ̄ω ̄= face
    --- Post merged---
    Nope still not over the mv

2. Xiuxiuminnie

Bunny Kingdom

EXO-L
    Putting songs to EXO performances via Tubedubber
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Stay With Me (Chanyeol x Punch)The War: Power of MusicRain (Baekhyun x Soyou)Monodrama (Lay)Crush U (EXO-CBX)Lotto (Chinese Ver.)Girls (EXO-CBX)Hey Mama! (EXO-CBX)
    I'm guessing Sweet Lies was the song playing while Baekhyun was 'dying' in the water.

our hyuneemoon and PrideInBaek like this.
  3. Lulakun

Lulakun Chanbaek Queen <3
    Yeorabia

Thirst Enthusiast
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Beautiful (Baekhyun)Dream (Baekhyun x Suzy)Stay With Me (Chanyeol x Punch)The Day (Baekhyun x K.Will)Baekhyun's SignatureChanyeol's SignatureFreal Luv (FEM x Marshmello ft Chanyeol & Tinashe)Rain (Baekhyun x Soyou)
    im suffering!!! this mv has killed my soul XD......... sweet lies vocals and rap has killed my soul... boomerang and its funkiness has killed my soul!!

4. PrideInBaek

Republic of Hun

Loving Baekhyun
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Yes it is/laycri

our hyuneemoon and Xiuxiuminnie like this.
  5. Xiuxiuminnie

Bunny Kingdom

EXO-L
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Stay With Me (Chanyeol x Punch)The War: Power of MusicRain (Baekhyun x Soyou)Monodrama (Lay)Crush U (EXO-CBX)Lotto (Chinese Ver.)Girls (EXO-CBX)Hey Mama! (EXO-CBX)
    Do you think he pulled a Sailor Moon and died while 'reviving' the others with their powers?

our hyuneemoon likes this.
  6. PrideInBaek

Republic of Hun

Loving Baekhyun
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Probably or instead of dying he got blasted off to a new universe which will be revealed in their next comeback mv or maybe it continues in the comic we're getting

7. Xiuxiuminnie

Bunny Kingdom

EXO-L
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    I did see the comic had someone in the water, much like Baekhyun. SM ARE SUCH TEASES.

[​IMG]

Red Team: ChenMin
    Yellow Team: ChanBaek
    Blue Team: SuDi/KyungHo
    Green Team: KaiHun

our hyuneemoon and PrideInBaek like this.
  8. Gliese

Gliese Aeri
    Dyonation

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Blind review of the 3 new songs, I'm currently out and can't watch the MV yet /taocri but lowkey glad it helps me preserve some objectivity cause we all know the MV is lit af

Power: can't say that I don't harbour any great expectations for this. At first glance it's definitely fitting to be a title track - and an exo title track at that - it's bombastic, with an explosive, in-your-face level of energy promising an enthralling and energetic performance. It gets your blood pumping well (all praises going to LDN noise for that hard-hitting beat and do I really spot an audio signature finally?!) a classic turnup track I daresay - but, this proves to be its Achilles heels too. It's a wee bit formulaic, and I was by no means expecting some curveball inventive music here - after the RF_05 teaser I was already envisioning the track to be a cross between two of Chris Brown's tracks (Forever and TUTM) meaning that it's fun, it's addictive but it's not necessarily groundbreaking.

Maybe I was expecting too much from LDN noise with their usual quirky touches? Maybe I was expecting too much from exo with their impressive track record, reinventing themselves every promotion cycle with songs that explore different genres and influences while still retaining that infectious and radio-friendly edge they're known for? All I know is Power seems to fall in the same category with Monster in my book, maybe all I need is time to suddenly enjoy this track to the fullest, like I always do with all the other exo title tracks (barring Lucky One which miraculously felled me within the first 3 seconds. I have an affinity to prominent basslines and disco music that's for sure). But for now, Power is a jam that's a firm yes, but I'm not totally floored by it yet.

I know I just implied the song isn't groundbreaking but can we just take a moment to appreciate "we take shots! we take shots! shots!" being actual lyrics in a promoted song coming from SM ent.? Plus that extended outro a la Russian Roulette. I was actually blurting out 'fuck yeah' when that part comes around. Swearing in public never feels that good

Sweet Lies: one of those tracks that just hit you by surprise - I thought the highlight of this track would be the feathery smooth R&B vocals but lo and behold Chanyeol's rap verse is so superior it almost steals the entire song, good for you boy. Overall it makes a good body rolling anthem, but one thought that did cross my mind is that it's a little bit dark to fit in the album? Ex'act might be a better fit, both soundscape and lyrics wise. Also Vakseen totally reused that ringing sound in 24 lmaooo I see what you did there

Boomerang: ngl I lowkey look forward to this track more than Power, there's that 8-bit game inspired beat that's also the same tactic employed in Charli Taft's Love Like You (genius bop just saying) and also Charli XCX's Boys (some lazy songwriting there but heyyyy a song dedicated to fangirling that can't be a bad thing). That and the Blurred Lines-ish hey-ey-ey refrain suggest something oddball, and afaik unpromoted b-sides are a pretty good indicator of a group's musical progress so I was pretty damn curious to see what the boys deliver this time. Again like Power it's a pretty straightforward track then again that's characteristic of dance tracks with a 4-on-the-floor beat lmao it has an edge over Power with that quirky old school game beat on loop but nowhere near the earworm quality of Power. Makes a pretty great feel-good jam and I can already imagine jamming to this while walking to school daily (syncing your steps to the beat is fun heh). I hope they consider this song for their live setlist, now that the tour starts after the repack is out and not repeat the tragedy that happened to both CBMD and She's Dreaming last year. It sounds like the performance would be light hearted and fun, with not much of actual choreography and lots of silly antics. A girl can only hope right /princesssuho
    Overall verdict: I love Power and can totally see why the boys hyped it up even before KKB release because placing the two songs side by side and this totally overpowers KKB lmao pun not intended but it's not a classic in my book (yet). Sweet Lies and Boomerang are welcoming additions, but it's not replacing Touch It and Chill as my top bsides coming off this release.

9. Xiuxiuminnie

Bunny Kingdom

EXO-L
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    #129 Xiuxiuminnie, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017

AHHH. My favorite of the new tracks is Boomerang. I'M A SUCKER FOR THAT STYLE. /legendarybaek
    2nd would be Sweet Lies. That rap...and the vocals.

3rd is Power. /trappedsoo Maybe I should slide that to 2.5 instead of 3 cause of Chanyeol's singing. /wtfsehun
    Just re-listened to Sweet Lies and that's going to slot 1.5.

New ranks:
    1st: Boomerang
    1.5th: Sweet Lies
    2nd: Power

All of that moaning and shit in Sweet Lies. It'd have you thinking it was something sexy, not sad. THIS IS THE MOST MOANING FROM EXO IN ONE SONG EVER. NOT EVEN ARTIFICIAL LOVE HAS THIS.
    PRETTY SURE IT'S BAEKHYUN. Some Chen.

our hyuneemoon and Gliese like this.
  10. Gliese

Gliese Aeri
    Dyonation

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    I CANT BELIEVE MY SHITPOST IN THE RTT ABOUT SAILORMOON CONCEPT ACTUALLY HAS SOME METRIC OF TRUTH IN IT

11. Xiuxiuminnie

Bunny Kingdom

EXO-L
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    What is RTT?

/sehunchoke I keep hearing about it but also not -about it- at the same time. /taocri

I MADE A POST ABOUT SAILOR MOON IN OH! ABOUT EXO BEFORE and again in the fan creations thread here. /happyxiu

But seriously..Baekhyun with his light powers and the white cat.

12. Gliese

Gliese Aeri
    Dyonation

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    It's the Random Thoughts Thread, it was exactly what it said on the tin for a while until it morphed into an aksu-esque thread with endless banter and injokes. TL;DR it's the most happening thread in AV and you should be there /xiubrows

LordT I literally don't give fucks about my OH account anymore save for when there's stuffs happening in my other fandom, what's been going on over OH these days?

13. Xiuxiuminnie

Bunny Kingdom

EXO-L
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    #133 Xiuxiuminnie, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    I don't remember my account/password for OH! I stopped caring once I saw EXO had its own board. Like hell yeah.

JUST REALIZED SOMETHING: That white cat has an L necklace.

/laylaugh
    Can't tell if that's meant to be for EXO-L or Lay.

Sailor Moon cover by Tommy Heavenly6 for La Soldier goes so well with Power's MV.
    But then the original La Soldier goes better cause of that strange effect with the vocals whenever Baekhyun is falling down through the air.

14. Gliese

Gliese Aeri
    Dyonation

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    I hope OH collapses for a good while this time, long enough to drive away all the petty people and their weak trolling to another hellhole like wth or something. And no not just saying this as an exo fan here
    I still can't figure out why the boys got their balls back hehe from the evil egglike thing then BOOM suddenly a kitty started spamming some button and turning all of them into 2D characters then BOOM Baekhyun appeared out of nowhere and picked up the kitty /layduh Is the kitty bad? Is the kitty good? Why the fuck is it even a kitty in the first place?? Is it because evil men are often accompanied by white kitties wait does that make Baek evil??? I love being confused SM better commemorate their 10th anniversary with a special photobook or something called The Ex'planation because our braincells are all fried beyond relief at this point

And sorry to break the mood idek what La Soldier is /wtfsehun

15. Xiuxiuminnie

Bunny Kingdom

EXO-L
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:

But SERIOUSLY. I didn't notice the kitten had a necklace until the last few times that I watched the video again.
    IT HAS AN L-SHAPED NECKLACE.
    Unless that fucker is Luhan (lolno), it's gotta be Lay.

Also, uh, Lay's unicorn thing was white and the cat is white.
    I think the kitten is just playful.
    If it wasn't Lay, then it'd have been a puppy cause Baekhyun is a dog person.

minze, our hyuneemoon and Gliese like this.
  16. Gliese

Gliese Aeri
    Dyonation

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Thank you! I have zero knowledge about anime themes unless it's Inuyasha or Naruto (pre-Shippuden era) lmao I was a manga person

I feel like it's a nod to exo-l like the car plate thing again and also doubles up as a reference to Lay too, must be subtle these days when it comes to him yeap I see what you did there SM /chanyeolsmile but anw it depends on the role of the cat in the MV plot ofc, assuming this MV does have a plot and not just lowkey a crack video

17. Xiuxiuminnie

Bunny Kingdom

EXO-L
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    The animation of EXO as cartoons was very crack-like.
    So was the different planets for EXO concepts. Including the music elf one from their concerts. /kailol
    But it seemed like Baekhyun (and Lay?) saved the others from being tentacle'd by a robot. Chen, too, helped.

I wonder why Chanyeol has Naruto eyes. /sehunchoke

18. Gliese

Gliese Aeri
    Dyonation

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Too many why's and too little explanation /laylaugh guess it's to just stop speculating altogether and enjoy the video for what it is, an endless montage of memey/cute/questionable scenes strung together

19. Xiuxiuminnie

Bunny Kingdom

EXO-L
    Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
  20. ℓayxings

ℓayxings Aeri
    Xingpire Donor

Chogi₩ons:
    Lotto Coins:
    Lose Control (Lay)EX'ACTXOXOEXODUS
    The MV is so much fun. It's the concept we all deserved. But the choreo omgggg. I love that choreo. Everyone is going to be shook once they see the boys perform power.